Friday, December 11, 2015

Blog Post #18: Reference Blog

I am referencing Donald Bailey's post.

Donny starts off by saying that Gatsby secretly knew he couldn't repeat the past. I feel like this is an interesting idea. I see where Donny is getting this. Maybe Gatsby is in denial. He knows that Daisy is gone, the old Daisy, the old Gastby is too. He just really loves her, and knows he won't be happy without her. So yes this is an interesting point, and I see where he is coming from. However it contrasts with my blog ideas. I believed that Gatsby was so confident in getting Daisy back. He devotes his life to her.

Donny also believes that Gatsby is misusing his past. I agree. He has so much confidence, everything he does in his life is to get Daisy. But people change, he loves the old Daisy. His past expirences with her is what's fueling his drive to be with her. Not who she really is as a person currently. Donny believes that Gatsby is hopeless. However, I believed differently. Donny uses his funeral as evidence to show how only three people attended his funeral, how Gatsby really lost everything trying to get to Daisy. I see these as a failure yes, but I don't see this showing how his journey was hopeless. Daisy and Gatsby were just an Egg away. there is always hope, I mean it happened before.

No comments:

Post a Comment